Friday, April 28, 2017

When Vintage and Nerdom Collide!



Captain's take selfies too!

Hi there all....so many of you might know my love for vintage knows no bounds, but many of you might not be aware that I am a huge nerd! I love comic books, superheroes, Sci-fi, Fantasy....etc. One of my greatest loves is Star Trek; so what better way to combine two things I love than by making the vintage 1960's Scant Dress from the original series?

The "scant" dress in all its glory on Lt. Nyota Uhura. This is right in line with the 60's style of being super short, almost tunic like in style.  

A close up reveals intricate seaming, as well as letting us get a good look at her insignia patch (over the heart) and rank braids( at the wrist).

So after much research and finding the right braids (amazon)  and pattern and fabric I began my process....The pattern I was using, and for the life of me I can't find a link to it, was the original pattern. The pieces were not intuitively put together, so figuring it out was kinda crazy. Also, I didn't want to cut my original pattern so I traced it out onto paper first.

In the end though, it turned out amazing and I really love it. I made one for my PLM (platonic life mate) Lenore; who of course is my Vulcan first officer.

Lenore and I posing for our own original Star Trek series which we titled as "Armistice"
A great outdoor shoot after a local Con.

Possibly my favorite shot of this outfit! Taken by a friend of mine at HeroesCon 2016 in Charlotte.

I wanted to include a shot from the original series which shows and ensign in the gold scant dress. Here Captain Kirk shows his great 23rd Century attitude when someone questions having a woman on board, in the crew.



How do you get to cross your special interests into one another? Have a vintage or vintage inspired cosplay? If so, share below!

Thanks,
Vicki
xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment

100 Years of Shapewear

Check out this great video about the evolution of shape wear and under garments from the 1900s to now!