Saturday, April 15, 2017

Picking a Vintage Beauty Icon

So many people ask me "who are you dressed as?" or even "where do you get inspiration for your look?" What I find interesting is that I tend to pull from so many different retro stars that it is hard for me to pick just one! So, here is my advice: Find elements from each person you love and incorporate them into your own unique look! You like Elizabeth Taylor's eyebrows, do those Liz Taylor brows baby! You love Bridget Bardot's pout, you go with that 60's pout! 

With all that said I thought I would include some pictures from my favorite icons!

No list would ever be complete without Marilyn Monroe (born Norma Jeane Baker in 1926). Dressed up or down she is considered one of the all time greats (if not the greatest) vintage beauties. Her youthful, bubbly personality drew audiences to her movies, though she had few in her short career (she's credited in 33 films). I both admire and empathize with Marilyn. For a woman who was so intent, purposeful, and intelligent she had to play the 'dumb blonde' to get anywhere in her career.

My look is probably mostly Marilyn. From my bleach blonde hair (though in my profile picture it is dark) to my love of small waists and full skirts she is on my mind when leaving the house in the morning. Is this something Marilyn would wear? I ask myself.



A co-star in one of those 33 films (How to Marry a Millionaire) would be the Queen of the Side Eye Miss Lauren Bacall. If you are looking for sultry look no further than Lauren. I love her balance of smoky female sensuality and her fierce almost intimidating eyes and brows. If I could go back in time I would ask her how she managed those gorgeous brows.



Busty beauty Jane Mansfield makes my list of all time inspirations for her quite fearless use of cleavage! In the early age of TV and Films Jane was literally breaking down barriers with her bosom. There is a famous instance of her upstaging Sofia Loren at a party given for her by Paramount Pictures. Mansfield showed up showing everything, which was of course captured on camera for the world and Loren to see. Here is a link to an interview with Loren about the incident: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-body/news/sophia-loren-explains-jayne-mansfield-photo-from-1957-2014411



Bridget Bardot is famous for her swinging 60's styles (voluminous hair and  nude pout) and of course those classic curves. The French born actress turned to animal activism and has always remained an icon to the gay community. She popularized the 'bardot neckline' in which one or both shoulders are exposed.  



Last but never least is Betty Grable. A woman who once held the title of 12 consecutive years in the top 10 box office stars, she was once the highest paid woman (per film in 1946 and 1947) in the country. Her bleach blonde look and legs insured for a million dollars makes her one of my favorite style icons. I mean seriously, name a woman who can look as sweet and as devilish at the same time?


So, who are some of your vintage beauty icons? Care to share? Post in the comments below!!!

Vicki Vegas
xoxoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

100 Years of Shapewear

Check out this great video about the evolution of shape wear and under garments from the 1900s to now!