Monday, June 12, 2017

Movie Review Monday: Wonder Woman *POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD*




Today's Movie Review Monday is about WONDER WOMAN. Now I'm not going to go into a huge thing about what an amazing film this is, or how much I think we women needed nay deserved a movie about one the greatest female heroes of all time....so let's jump right into the costumes.


Those of you who might not know yet the film mainly takes place during the tale end of World War 1, so 1918. The clothing of the officers and civilians certainly reflect the styles of the times, while a few of them seem to be already jumping ahead to the roaring 20s.

This was a great little scene where Diana mistakes undergarments for armor. Etta replies that it is for keeping "your tummy in" to which Diana replies "why would want to keep it in?"


Etta Candy is seriously rocking some men's wear styling which was definitely popular in the UK during the late teens. The silhouette is getting looser with emphasis on long lean lines, which will become the staple of 20's fashion. 

I loved this checker pattern for Etta, she's a working gal and this is probably her real, everyday sort of look. That collar is darling.
Men's wear for this film was mainly uniforms;expertly tailored on the principles. Someone with a more keen eye for military history might spot some inaccuracies but I certainly didn't.
Chris Pine's character Steve had several uniform changes (spoilers he's a spy) so I tended to forgive any fitting issues because the whole point is that he is wearing someone else's clothes.
Another great uniform example. I'd love for some more historical perspective here. I'm not as familiar with the German styles from WW1.


Of course I had to add in one of Queen Hippolyta. I loved that they went practical with the Amazonian armor with a bit of Hollywood flare....rather than the other way around.

My FAVORITE piece from the film is this gorgeous wool coat on one of the bad guys General Ludendorf. This coat was a beauty on screen, and we get to see it several times. The cut, the color, the styling of this frankly FABULOUS coat is all it took for me to decide that out of a lavishly styled movie this was THE piece for me.


So there is my short, shining review about Wonder Woman (2017) and it's vintage styled costumes. Have you seen it yet? What was your must have drool worthy favorite?

XOXXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment

100 Years of Shapewear

Check out this great video about the evolution of shape wear and under garments from the 1900s to now!