Thursday, January 11, 2018

The art of World War II Planes!

World War II saw the rise of the air plane as a war machine. To help combat the seriousness of the war and the overall tone airmen would paint designs, sexy pin up girls, and sometimes racy slogans on the noses of their planes. I find the whole idea reminiscent of Native Americans painting their horses, or the Vikings carving dragon heads on the ends of their boats. Here are some great images of World War II planes:

I wonder if she is based off some girl he knew!


I think this name is probably my favorite.








She might be my favorite, but I'm a bit biased.











Got to see her in person, and I even have a "Diamond Lil" pin!




Want to read more about nose art on World War II planes? You can check out the book 

Vintage Aircraft Nose Art (Motorbooks Classic) by Gary Valant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

100 Years of Shapewear

Check out this great video about the evolution of shape wear and under garments from the 1900s to now!